Presentations and Publications by Stephen Snyder MD
“Practical approach to erectile dysfunction in the younger man” and “Sexual avoidance in men, women, and couples.” At “Clinical Challenges in Male Sexual Health: 5th Annual Review,” NYU School of Medicine, NYC, NY, December 4, 2004.
“Therapeutic Dilemmas in Patients with Co-Morbid Sexual Dysfunction and Sexual Impulse Control Disorders.” Fall Clinical Meeting, The Society for Sex Therapy and Research, September 16, 2005.
“It Takes Two – Managing Sexual Dysfunction in the Couple’s Relationship.” Sexual Health State of the Art Series, jointly sponsored by The Berman Center and Northwestern University, Feinberg School of Medicine, Department of OB/GYN. New York, NY June 25, 2006 and Chicago, IL Sept 17, 2006.
Discussant: “Couple’s treatment of sexual dysfunction complicated by medical illness, religious issues, and fertility concerns.” Fall Clinical Meeting, The Society for Sex Therapy and Research, September 15, 2006.
“Sexual Body, Sexual Mind.” Grand Rounds, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Saint Vincent Catholic Medical Centers, New York, NY, May 10, 2007.
“New Perspectives on Problems of Sexual Arousal and Sexual Intimacy”, New York State Psychological Association Independent Practice Division Annual Members’ Brunch, New York, NY, Oct 21, 2007.
“Sexual Disorders at the Uro-Psychiatric Interface,” Grand Rounds, Department of Urology, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, NYC, NY December 5, 2007.
“Ten Things Your Patient With E.D. Won’t Tell You.” Grand Rounds, Department of Urology, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, NYC, NY June 25, 2008.
“Sexual function and intimacy issues in the aging hemophilia patient.” At conference: Genital/Urinary and Sexual Health Issues in the Aging Hemophilia Patient. Baxter Healthcare Corporation, NYC, NY, October 5, 2009.
“All kinds of sexual minds: Character diversity in the treatment of men with sexual disorders.” Fall clinical meeting, The Society for Sex Therapy and Research, October 8, 2010.
“Integrating biological and psychological elements in sexual treatment of men.” Guest faculty, The Sex Therapy Postgraduate Training Institute of New York — Dec 4, 2011 and May 22, 2013, NYC, NY.
Invited guest lecturer, Program in Human Sexuality and Sex Therapy, NYU Langone Medical Center NYC, NY April 22, 2013.
Invited faculty discussant — Department of Psychiatry Grand Rounds, Mt Sinai Med Ctr NYC, NY May 14, 2013.
“ED in the younger man” at Urologic Institute of Northeastern New York and Albany Medical College: Update in Men’s Health for Primary Care, Albany, NY June 1, 2013.
“Psychological effects of ED and Peyronie’s Disease” at Urologic Institute of Northeastern New York and Albany Medical College: Update in Men’s Health for Primary Care, Albany, NY June 1, 2013.
“Evaluation and Treatment of Male Sexual Disorders” (half-day workshop) at Annual Meeting, The Society for Sex Therapy and Research, Pittsburgh, PA, April 3, 2014.
“Evaluation of Male Sexual Disorders” at Urologic Institute of Northeastern New York and Albany Medical College: 2nd Annual Update in Men’s Health for Primary Care, Albany, NY June 7, 2014.
“Sexual Psychopharmacology for the 21st Century” at Urologic Institute of Northeastern New York and Albany Medical College: 2nd Annual Update in Men’s Health for Primary Care, Albany, NY June 7, 2014.
Original Peer-Reviewed Reports:
1. Snyder S, Strain JJ: Somatoform disorders in the general hospital inpatient setting. Gen Hosp Psychiatry 11:288-293, 1989.
2. Snyder S, Strain JJ: Change in diagnosis at termination of psychiatric consultation. Hosp Community Psychiatry 41(3):286-289, 1990.
3. Snyder S, Strain JJ, Wolf D: Differentiating major depression from adjustment disorder with depressed mood in the medical setting. Gen Hosp Psychiatry 12:159-165, 1990.
4. Snyder S, Strain JJ, Fulop G: Evaluation and treatment of mental disorders in patients with AIDS. Comprehensive Therapy 16:34-41, 1990.
5. Wallack JJ, Snyder S, Bialer PA, Gelfand J, Poisson E: An AIDS bibliography for the general psychiatrist. Psychosomatics 32:243-254, 1991.
6. Bialer PA, Wallack JJ, Snyder S: Psychiatric diagnosis in HIV-spectrum disorders. Psychiatric Med 9:361-375, 1991.
7. Strain JJ, Lyons JS, Hammer JS, Fahs M, Liebowitz A, Paddison PL, Snyder S, Strauss E, Burton R, Nuber G: Cost offset from a psychiatric C-L intervention with elderly hip fracture patients. Am J Psychiatry 148:1044-1049, 1991.
8. Snyder S, Reyner A, Schmeidler J, et al: Prevalence of mental disorders in newly-admitted medical inpatients with AIDS. Psychosomatics 33:166-170, 1992.
9. Snyder S, Maruyama N, Prenzlauer S, Rose D: Catatonia in a patient with AIDS-related dementia. J Clin Psychiatry 53:414, 1992.
10. Snyder S, Rosenbaum DH, Rowan AJ, Strain JJ: SCID diagnosis of panic disorder in psychogenic seizure patients. J Neuropsychiatry Clin Neurosciences 6:261-266, 1994.
11. Snyder S: Commentary: Contra “pseudoseizure” – the problem of intention in nonepileptic events. Gen Hosp Psychiatry 16:248-250, 1994.
12. Snyder S: Response (letter) to Dr. A Flynn. Gen Hosp Psychiatry 17:58-59, 1995.
13. Snyder SL, Drooker MA, Strain JJ: A survey estimate of academic liver transplant teams’ selection practices for alcoholic applicants. Psychosomatics 37:432-437, 1996.
14. Plutchik L, Snyder S, Drooker M, Chodoff L, Sheiner P: Methylphenidate in post-operative liver transplant patients. Psychosomatics 39:118-123, 1998.
15. Fulop G, Strain JJ, Fahs MC, Schmeidler J, Snyder S: A prospective study of the impact of psychiatric comorbidity on length of hospital stays of elderly medical/surgical inpatients. Psychosomatics 39:273-280, 1998
16. Snyder S: Idealization in the liver transplant setting. General Hospital Psychiatry 20:80-84, 1998.
17. Snyder SL, Buchsbaum MS, Krishna RC: Unusual visual symptoms and Ganser-like state due to cerebral injury: a case study using 18F-deoxyglucose positron emission tomography. Behavioral Neurology 11:51-54, 1998.
18. Bar-Chama N, Snyder S, Aledort L: Sexual evaluation and treatment of aging males with hemophilia. Hemophilia 201117:875-83, 2011. http://1.usa.gov/1iyYsUD
1. Snyder S, Byne W, Lozyniak S: Sexual Dysfunctions, Gender Dysphoria, and Paraphilic Disorders. In Mount Sinai Expert Guide series: Psychiatry. Oxford, UK: Wiley (in press).
Selected Other Publications:
1. Snyder S: Psychoanalysis and sex therapy. Bulletin of the Psychoanalytic Association of New York 43:6-8, 2005.
2. Snyder S: Are you ready for the truth? The Work Style Magazine (Italy), June 2010 #4, p. 32.
3. Snyder S: Protecting marriage and sexuality in the era of internet porn. Mental Health Resource – Emotional Connection 2:2, Spring 2012. P. 49-50.
4. Snyder S: Review of Slow Sex: The Art and Craft of the Female Orgasm, Journal of Sex & Marital Therapy, 39:195-197, 2012-13. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/0092623X.2013.746866